Observations/Thoughts As I Look Out at Life

There are days when I am totally amazed at God's Creation. There are days when I am encouraged by my fellow man. And there are days when I am confused, anxious and terribly heartsick at how low some of us can think or act.

This Blog is my way of expressing those feelings while, hopefully, honestly evaluating myself.

Welcome to my "view."

Thursday, November 11, 2010

You Don't Have to Finish 1st to be a Winner


   Got up earlier than usual this past Sunday, in plenty of time for church, but instead headed out in near freezing temperatures to cheer on my 37 year old daughter during her participation in the Wilmington, NC Battleship Half Marathon.
  
  

   Being a "Half" marathon meant a race of 13.1 miles.....which is about 12.1 miles too long for me!

   The race is dedicated to those currently serving in the military, those who have lost their lives in action and those friends and family members who have left us.  It started and ended at the Battleship USS North Carolina, crossed the Cape Fear River twice over different bridges and meandered through downtown Wilmington and Greenfield Lake.
                                                  


What I found amazing and most admirable about my daughter's decision to enter this race and show determination, drive and stamina was to realize what she has managed to overcome over this past year. 

 
Her beautiful baby girl, Natalia went full-term but was delivered still-born. 

   Most understandably, she has battled depression, weight gain and much questioning of God.    Actually, I have too.  

   Trista ran track in high school, but that was going on 20 years ago.  Recently though she started running again to have her "alone time," think, get exercise and lose weight. 

  
   Well, in a matter of a few short months, she has dropped close to 30 pounds and regained her form for long-distance running.


   Seeing her not only out there competing with enjoyment, but finishing the entire course in under 2 hours (24th out of 103 in her age group and 484th out of 1292 total runners) was truly an inspiration and an encouragement to me.  

   My "little girl" was back in the race of life and although she didn't finish first, she was truly a winner!

Until next time...



In memory of our precious little one



No comments:

Post a Comment